As part of the Alliance Française world-renowned international network,
AFG brings all levels of French to Gainesville.
Join us for our Open House & Registration for our next session
Portes ouvertes/Open House for Centre Educatif August 30 4:30-8:30pm
We encourage you to learn French at the AFG for our...
Professors: Our teachers are native French speakers or fluent, fully qualified to teach French as a second language. All of our teachers are required to have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher education.
Method: Our choice of method is CEF (The Common European Framework). We focus on developing communication skills through immersion in French with materials that fit the needs of our students.
Courses: We offer a variety of courses at various proficiency levels for adults, young children & teens. Our classes never have more than 12 students to ensure a personalized, student-centered experience. We need a minimum of 5 students to open a class.
Classes will resume the week of
September 17, 2018
Ready to register? It is as easy as 1-2-3!
1. Placement Test: New students who are NOT complete beginners are required to take a placement test online. When taking this placement test, make sure you are not rushed and that you include as much French in your answers as possible. Refrain from referencing any dictionary or any website for assistance.
2. Schedule of classes: Now that you know your level, review the schedule to check the day and time. The schedule will be available at the open house.
3. Ready to register? Register in person at the next open house or use our online registration payment system which is now available.
4. Make your payment online below or mail your check to Alliance Française de Gainesville (101 SE 2nd Place Suite 201-L, Gainesville, Fl 32601).
10 Week Program-Non Member Price: $200.00
10 Week Program-Member Price: $180.00
20 Week Program- Non Member Price: $400.00
20 Week Program- Member Price: $360.00
5 Week Program- Non Member Price: $100.00
5 Week Program-Member Price: $90.00
Single advanced class "a la carte": $25.00
Private Tutoring (1 class): $40.00
Private Tutoring (5 classes): $180.00
4. Pay for your class materials:
5. Can't find your class? Or you want to register at another time? Join our interest/waiting list:
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is each term?
10 weeks in Fall, Spring, Summer for our regular programs
20 weeks Summer for extended program
5 Weeks in Summer for intensive program
How often do classes meet?
Regular evening classes meet once a week, 1h30 each time.
Saturday classes meet once a week, 1h30 each time.
Summer classes meet once a week, 1h30 each time.
Intensive classes meet twice a week, 3h total per week.
Can I register after the official registration period?
You may still register for a course during the first 1 weeks of any 10-week term (less during Summer with $25 late fee).
Where do I purchase my books?
Books can be purchased in advance and picked up during class sessions.
CLASS REGISTRATION POLICY
Membership: The Alliance Française de Gainesville (AFG) is a membership organization, and enrollment in AFG classes is a right reserved for its members at a discounted price. The membership fee is valid for 12 months from the day you join or renew. Membership fees are not refundable. We are currently offering courses to non members for participants who are only interested in classes.
Registration: Class registrations are accepted in the order received until the class is full (average size is 5-6; maximum size is 10-12). If a class does not meet the minimum enrollment of 3 students, the class may be canceled and a credit or refund will be issued. Alternative options such as semi-private classes or private instruction will be explored. Low enrollment can sometimes result in class merging.
Payment:Tuition and fees must be paid in full at registration. Tuition costs do not include membership fees or books. Acceptable forms of payment are check, credit card (Visa, MasterCard), PayPal, or cash. Credit card payments are subject to a processing fee. We regret that we cannot accept partial payments. A $25 fee is applied to any bounced checks. Where a student's employer pays course fees, an authorization letter from the employer is required. If an employer fails to pay the cost of a student's tuition fees and material, the AFG will require the student to pay the tuition.
Withdrawals & Tuition Refunds/Credits: The Alliance is a nonprofit organization that hires top-caliber teachers and which establishes class schedules based on enrollments at the start of a session. Therefore our withdrawal and tuition refund/credit policy is restricted as described below.
1. Notification: Class withdrawals must be made in writing, submitted to the Alliance office, and should specify the submitter's request for: a refund (terms below), a course credit, or agreement to offer up potential refunds as a tax-deductible donation to AFG, a non-profit organization.
2. Refunds / Credits: Depending on the time of withdrawal, tuition may be credited for use toward a future class (valid for 12 months from the date of payment).
- For all classes: any cancellations made at least one business day prior to the first class being held are refunded or credited in full but are subject to a cancellation fee of $25. We do not grant any refunds thereafter.
- For workshops (including cooking classes): Full refunds or credits will only be issued for cancellations 2 days prior to the workshop.
Missed Classes: If a student is unable to attend a class, he/she may make up that class at an alternate time when feasible. AFG staff must be informed and will help determine these alternatives. Tuition refunds will not be granted for missed classes. Students may also contact their teachers via email to obtain missed work or assignments.
Transfers: All transfers from one course to another or to private lessons must be done within the first two weeks of the session and must be approved by AFG. Any additional tuition or fees resulting from a course transfer are payable at the time the change is made.
Format Transfers: A student may elect to transfer from Group classes to Private tutoring, or vice versa, when and if offered. As Private tutoring is charged at a higher rate per hour, students switching from Group classes into Private tutoring must pay the difference in rate per hour (i.e. it is not an hour-for-hour match). For students switching from Private to Group classes, they can apply any pre-paid lessons toward the group class tuition; however this transfer must be made prior to the second week of the Group class.
Course Cancellations & Changes: AFG reserves the right to cancel courses, adjust curriculum or change teachers at any time during the session.
Insufficient Enrollment: Typically, course cancellation is due to insufficient enrollment. A minimum of 4-5 students is required to open a class. If you are registered in a course that is cancelled, you will be notified by telephone or email and given the option to transfer to another course or to be fully refunded. As an alternative option for classes with insufficient enrollment, registered students may elect to form a Semi-private class subject to an increased price/hour charge or decreased class hours; if an agreement is not reached, the class will be canceled. Insufficient enrollment may result in class merges.
Substitutions: Very rarely, we may find it necessary to substitute an equally-qualified teacher for one that was scheduled to teach a class. Refunds are not allowed due to such adjustments. If, however, a suitable substitute cannot be put in place, students will be refunded the value of any remaining classes or an option for credit toward a future class.
Placement tests: Placement tests are required for all prospective students who have any background with French including, but not limited to:
- Previous instruction at an institution other than an Alliance Française
- Previous instruction at any other Alliance Française
- Previous instruction with the Alliance Française de Gainesville if it has been more than a year since the student's last class
BY REGISTERING FOR A CLASS,
STUDENTS ACCEPT THE ABOVE POLICIES.
Created January 2014; Revised January 10, 2016